Monday, June 17, 2013

My Parenting Perspective

When I'm at the park, there always is a parent who runs to my daughter's aid as I casually walk over to her when she gets 'stuck' in a position I KNOW she can get out of. It's hard to encourage self-reliance when other people we don't know want to help. I tell them that she is fine and she can get out of it herself, but they still insist on helping or offering consolation by rubbing her back or by saying that she is alright if she does fall from 1 foot. She's fine, please leave her alone.
Now I understand that I may be alone in this thinking, but I know my rough and tumble tomboy-girly-girl of a daughter who enjoys taking risks. If she is in any real danger, I come running, but other times, she just wants attention from others and I walk over to her to encourage her to find her own solutions or talk her through the problem, asking what she needs to do about it. She eventually figures out a some kind of solution through trial and error. How can children solve their own problems when parents are CONSTANTLY coming to the rescue? I believe if they are going to get hurt (even if that means a trip to the hospital for stitches or a cast) as a result of their actions, then maybe they may learn a thing or two about not doing it in the future.
My daughter, being six years old, is learning to make her own lunch on the stove. She is learning cut her own food with a steak knife and prepare simple basic foods for herself. She can make her own breakfast in the morning without any assistance. She is growing into a responsible, confident, respectful, self-reliant young lady. As much as I don't like the speed of her growing up, I know I can't stop it. Why should I tell her that she is unable to do something well within her reach?
 Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment