Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Little Sibling Jealousy

Well, I just read something my baby sister said about her little family of her, her husband, and their two cats. She goes on to ask what others thought is next... a dog or a baby. My first thoughts were of her needing to wait a while, then sadness and jealousy at the thought of her having a biological child of her own before me. I am coming to the realization that we may never have one of our own, but I had never given much thought of my younger siblings having children of their own. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have little nieces and nephews to call me Auntie, just as my daughter calls my sister, but I'm afraid of myself being overwhelmingly jealous and letting my sadness cloud my excitement for my siblings and their spouses for their/ our new addition to our family. My only hope is that not one of my brothers or sister, or their spouse, have the same issues as my husband and I.

When all is said and done, I will be overjoyed with the news and I will always have a smile on my face when the ultrasound pictures come, news of the first kicks and movements are shared, and all the little fun pregnancy stories are shared. Inside, though, I will probably be in turmoil.

For now, though, I don't need to worry about it. I just need to take it one day at a time. Let's just see what happens and hope for a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment